Friday, June 4, 2010

Remembering Suncoast

Back in the day,I used to frequent my local Suncoast at least once a week. I made 2 of my best friends there since I visited so much. The 1st memory of when I started to "click" with some of the employees was when I bought the Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre DVD there. I had shopped there alot,and had similar tastes in movies to 2 of the workers there,moreso the Assistant Manager Jerome. I am shy when it comes to social interaction,so Jerome would talk to me about something I was buying,and I would talk to him about it,but I would look at my Mom,and very awkwardly say what I had to say. Well after going in so many times,I finally started to not feel so awkward and I started talking to Jerome for about 15 minutes to 20 minutes at a time on a visit there. Well when I went in to buy the newly released Texas Chainsaw Massacre "Meat Package" Edition around the time the Remake was coming to theaters,me and Jerome talked about Chainsaw and he suggested some other movies I might like,and long story (not-so) short is I was there for an hour. Then I started to go to Suncoast just to talk to Jerome,and would eventually make friends with the Manager,Dave. If my parents had an errand to run I would call Suncoast and see if one of them was working and if they were I would go and get dropped off to visit with them. There was one day that I had went to see a movie with my Best Friend,Eric and his Grandfather was doing badly and he after the movie needed to go to the hospital so he dropped me off at the mall,and Dave & Jerome were both working and I was there for 4 hours,because I had to wait for my Dad to get off work and come pick me up. That is how good the friends I made there were,that I could just stand and bullshit with them for 4 hours and not get bored. I even went to Jerome's wedding,which was the funniest/coolest/dorkiest wedding I have ever seen all wrapped into one. Well maybe just the end where after Jerome & Angel said their I Do's they went off to the reception hall to The Addams Family theme song. But then FYE bought Suncoast. There was alot of rumors around then that Suncoast was going to be closed. They transfered Dave to another store,and shortly after Dave's new store closed. Dave was no longer a part of Suncoast. The rumors that Suncoast closing tho ended up going away and they were open for another 7 months,until with only a weeks notice,Jerome and the rest of the Suncoast employees were told Suncoast was being closed in Januaray 2007. Only a week's notice that they were about be out of a job.

Around October 2006 Dave had gotten a new job at another store I went to alot at the time in Gamestop,BUT he was working about 30 minutes away from where Suncoast was,and it already required and hour's drive to get to Suncoast. Then about April or May of 2007,Jerome would find another job. Where? Gamestop as well,but not the same store Dave was working. It was about 15 minutes closer than Dave's store but still to far away to visit him as much as the Suncoast days. Now in June 2010 Dave & Jerome are still 2 of my very best friends and they both still work at Gamestop. I now mostly stay in contact via Facebook with the occasional visit to one of their stores. But still not as much contact with them as I would like.

And Dave is now in the movie biz even tho he still works at Gamestop.
http://historicalproductionsinc.com/
He has directed 1 movie already and its available on DVD via the Amazon Marketplace which you can find out more info about the movie and his upcoming Horror Movie that he wrote and is Executive Producing in Legend on the site linked above. I also due to Dave found another one of my best friends,who I have never even met in person and chances are I never will,because Me,Dave,and star of Dave's "Johnny" Cody would play on Xbox Live ALOT. Well when I wasn't online they met a Canadian,who they hit it off with,and next time I popped Rainbow Six Vegas into the disc tray I played with them and the first I had heard of him "Oh well theres Ninja,let's invite him" and I became fast friends with him as well. I have even bought him Games for me and him to play together that due to many reasons I haven't really played any of them with him yet,even tho I bought a few in October 2008 and then in June 2009. The story as to why I don't play my 360 as much as I used to is a whole other story for another time.

So there is The Legacy that Suncoast has left behind.
RIP Suncoast Eastgate Mall-Cincinnati,Ohio Location

No comments:

Post a Comment